Saturday, March 12, 2011

Introduction Post

Welcome to my blog! This is where I will talk about life with my crazy birds; you will find photos, stories, food recipes, and general chatter about my parrots.

First, a flock introduction, in order of acquisition...

This is Leyla. She is a white-face violet peach-faced lovebird, hatched December 4th, 2004. Like many female lovebirds, she is bossy, moody, destructive, and just so lovable. I call her my little Beak of Terror... all in love of course. Leyla has polyfolliculitis, which is multiple feathers growing from a single follicle. She has had some rough times including a couple spells when she mutilated her shoulder, but she is doing quite well currently.


Nin is a dutch blue peach-faced lovebird, hatched January 11th, 2005. He is my silly little guy who never fails to bring a smile to my face. The worst days are made so much better when he runs up to me and demands to play the kissy game! Nin is a little glutton; he will do pretty much anything for food. And he is very persistent! If you don't share with him, he'll boomerang back and keep bothering you until he gets what he wants.

I often referr to Leyla and Nin as "The Fluffies". They both came from a small local breeder as just-weaned babies. They came home in March of '05.


Chewy is an umbrella cockatoo thought to have been hatched in 2001. I don't know too much about her past, but what I do know is that she has had several homes before me and has a lot of baggage because of it. I brought her home in November of 2007 and at the time she was a screamer who chewed off all her chest feathers. I am happy to say she is not a big screamer anymore and she is fully feathered now, though she overpreens a little bit yet. She has come so far, but we still have one big hurdle to jump: overcoming her strong dislike of other people.

And my newest addition; Rigby is a black-cheeked lovebird hatched July 5th, 2008 and brought home in October of 2010. Rigby has "stargazing", which is a condition that causes the bird to unconsciously twist and turn his head upwards. It can be caused by a number of things, but in Rigby's case it was some kind of neurological damage. My vet prescribed a form of medicinal opium and sure enough, his condition has improved greatly! He's almost "normal" now and he can fly instead of just crash. Rigby is not "tame" yet, but he will fly to my head or shoulder sometimes. He doesn't like hands or faces.

And that's my little flock! They are all so special in their own way and I couldn't imagine life without them.

1 comment:

Mocknbird2 said...

How about an update on your flock?