Monday, September 12, 2011

Mash Balls for Dinner

Sweet potato, butternut squash, and carrots:

While it was cooking I started some quinoa cooking as well.

Meanwhile I chopped some kale and two hot peppers:

And mixed together some rolled oats and ground flax seeds for the coating:

I mashed the sweet potatoes, squash, and carrots, and mixed in the quinoa, kale, and peppers. I also added some hulled millet, crushed walnuts, and paprika:

After forming into balls and rolling in the oat/flax coating:

The finished product:

All the birds loved them, the bowls were almost spotless when they were finished eating! I just took pictures of the lovies though:



As you can see, the mash balls were definitely a hit! I froze tonight's extra, and I will be making them again!

Not to forget the humans in the house, I also made peanut butter cookies! Yum!

6 comments:

thou said...

i am definitely going to make your mash balls. did you just throw everything together without measuring?

Megan said...

Pretty much, yes! I did try to end up with about half quinoa and half veggies for the "base" of the mash balls. I ended up making way too much quinoa and had a lot of the coating left over, so I mixed them together and used it as a mash base for future meals.

I have to make some more mash balls next weekend! My guys sure do love them!

thou said...

yeah, i have the same problem with quinoa. i always end up w/ so much of it!!! btw, this is bookworm from lovebirdplus and avian ave. it's nice to see your fids doing well :) oh, do you bake it after forming it into balls?

Megan said...

I thought it was you! How have you and your fids been? I'm in love with your flock of lovies, but you probably already knew that!

I don't bake them, I just serve them as is, and freeze the extra. Another Avian Avenue member posted that she crisped them for her bird and he really enjoyed them that way though, so I guess whatever your birds prefer!

thou said...

i'll try both. my fids are great. one of them is turning 3 tomorrow and my last clutch of 5 are turning 1 so it'll be a big bday weekend. thanks, i'm in love w/ your flock as well. they are just as cute as ever!

Nikki said...

What a great recipe, I am going to have to give it a try! Thanks for sharing it.